The best way to get Art Monk into the Hall of Fame is to honestly advocate for him based on his credentials. Unfortunately, this has not worked for the past seven years, and the reality is that there is more to the process than simply electing the best candidates each year.
There are a few clearly identifiable phenomenae that affect Hall of Fame voting:
- First Ballot Hall of Famers receive special scrutiny. Great players like Art Monk will get a boost in their first year of eligibility while more borderline players will get less support in their first year of eligibility
- The Last Year of Eligibility for a player will usually result in a boost to make up for decades of snubs.
- Players at the same position can get caught in a logjam that keeps them all out of the Hall.
- Other Wide Receivers will hurt Art’s chances
- Logjams at Other Positions will help Art’s chances
- Players on the same team can get caught in a logjam that keeps them all out of the Hall.
- Other Redskins will hurt Art’s chances
- Teammates on Other Teams will help Art’s chances